Google

Thursday 6 December 2007

Interview with Jon Todd

q) Introduce yourself first please?

a)My name is Jon Todd. I am a low brow artist from Toronto, Canada. Over the years I have developed my own unique style influenced by Low Brow, Asian,Mexican and Tattoo art forms.In the past year my works of art have been shown in galleries and magazines across North America. Some of the cities include: Toronto, Montreal, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Arizona, and New York City. My works have also sparked interest internationally.My goal as an artist is to push the boundaries of society's view of fine art,through a persons clothing on the street or a unique painting in a gallery.

q) How did you get into art?
a)I started painting at a young age and ended up attending Sheridan College for illustration and printmaking. As I was going through school I was inspired by the underground street art culture of the Low Brow movement.
q)Who has been the biggest influence on you?
a)I have been influenced by Low Brow and Pop Surrealist Artists like Jeff Soto,Shepard Fairy, Jeff Garcia, and the Clayton Brothers. Recently, Martin Wittfooth and Mark Ryden have inspired me to put symbolism into my work. Like them all, I wish to produce eye catching artworks that are thought provoking and interesting to interpret.
q) Do you rule by any tendency in your creative work, or you only follow what comes in your mind?When I am working on a new painting I usually start with a simple naive sketch,nothing too detailed. I don't like to be restricted to a solid rough drawing.When I can work free on the final board sometimes "Happy Mistakes "happen. These can be unexpected but can really improve the visual appeal of my paintings.
q) Do you have a preferred medium to work on? Why?

a) I prefer to use acrylic paint in my pieces because it drys fast and it can handle a good beating. I like to rough up my paintings by sometimes scraping them with a knife. Also I collage old papers and patterns into my works, so I am more of a mixed media artist then a traditional painter.
q) How much does your environment have an effect on your pictures?
a)I am always affected by my surrounding environments. I pick up inspiration formy works from dirty weather beaten walls, sun baked rusty trucks etc.. All of these colours and textures can be transfered to my fine art.

q) Tell us about your studio space. Where do you work? Do you listen to certain types of music while working?
a)My Studio space in located in the basement of my house. The walls are covered with old antique frames, Mexican wrestler masks, drawings and paintings. I have traded and collected over the years. I prefer to listen to the beats of OmegaOne, Ratatat, and Tortoise, but I must alway listen to WeFunk Radio while working.

q) Who are your favorite artists?

a)My favorite artists are Egon Schiele, Martin Wittfooth, Jeff Soto,Mike Giant,Mark Ryden, Harvey Chan, Shepard Fairy, Chris Mars, Alex Gross, Clayton Brothers,Joe Sorren, Gary Basemen and Jeff Garcia.

q )When have you started using the internet and what role does this form of communication play for you, personally, for your art, and for your business?
a) I have been using the internet as a promotional tool for my personal website. The past year I have started using new web programs like Myspace, Facebook,and Youtube for advertisement purposes. All these programs help get your art and name out there.

q) What books are on your night stand?

a)I like to read the monthly issue of Juxtapoz Art Magazine.

q) What's playing on your stereo?

a)Most of the time I like to listen to bands like Radiohead, Protest the Hero,Wolfmother, Rise Against, and Alexis on Fire. But sometimes I like to mix it up with some classical, jazz, salsa and funk music.

q) Any interesting "rituals" before you start creating?

a)Always listen to We Funk radio while working .

q) What is your favourite colour?

a)My favorite colour is actually a Dirty Sun Baked Turquoise Green, which I use in a lot of my works.
q) What is the best time in the day for you to work on a project? Is thereone, or is it more about the environment -- maybe the right mood?

a)The best time for me to work is late at night because most people are asleep and there are less distractions. Sometimes I will work12 hours straight on a painting when the mood is right.
q) What projects mean a lot to you at the moment?

a)Currently I am pumped to work on my new paintings for two major international shows in December 2008. The first is a solo show at Thinkspace Gallery in Los Angeles CA. The second show is a two person show with my good friend Martin Wittfooth at Windup Gallery in Mesa AZ. I am planning on producing a total of 50 works for both shows. I have also started designing custom limited edition hoodies and t-shirts for Elliptic Clothing.

q)Your contacts.

a)Artist: Jon Todd
Online Store: http://shop1i5.com
Elliptic Clothing Website: http://ellipticclothing.com/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home