Google

Monday 12 March 2007

Interview with Blair Wilson

q) Something about you...what you want...

a) I'm 6 feet 2 inches tall, my body weight is 170 lb., and I have a 40 inch chest with a 35 inch waist and 38 inch hips. I want a balanced view of nature, humanity, and the universe.

q) What are your main goals when you create?

a) Grow, develop, progress, show, and make a living.
q) Do you rule by any tendency in your creative work, or you only follow what comes in your mind?

a) I speak with a voice of distinction, clear and with a strong singular, instantly recognizable quality.

q) How has the Internet and your website helped you spread your artwork to a wider audience?

a) It has helped by new and old friends having easy access to my work, my story, and a means to contact me directly. People I've not heard from for years suddenly appear. The care and attention I delivered via snail mail (pre Internet) during the height of my zine networking days I can now place into emails and work on the Internet and my database.

q) How do you define your style and how would you describe your art to someone who could not see it?

a) Amazing little paintings, small and concentrated. Moving through chapters, overlapping, adding, learning, and focusing, drawing, designing, painting, with compositional, spiritual and material explorations.

q) What materials do you use to realize your creations?

a) Acrylics are my primary material or medium. I enjoy the water based cleanup, quick waterproof drying, strong durable finish with paper, wood, canvas, and found objects. I also use pencil, paper, and black ink at home and in the field for finished and preparatory works. It is important to experiment with materials, I also like to try home improvement and gardening supplies in some projects.


q) What is your favorite a) taste b) sound c) sight d) scent e) tactile sensation?

a)
a) taste...unsweetened chocolate, garlic, onion, cabbage, and celery.
b) sound...stereo sound with 3x subwoofer
c) sight...clear and more focused as you get closer.
d) scent...citrus, ozone, eucalyptus, menthol, popcorn
e) tactile sensation...soft.

q) What are you doing now ... your current projects...?

a)I’ve currently produced hundreds of paintings, enough for 3 or 4 shows, complete bodies of work. I’ve produced numerous paintings close enough to being finished, but far enough from being ready to show, that I can continue to build the groups into coherent packages. I’ve been honing my art framing techniques so as to create acid free environments with panache, ready for exhibition and sale. I’m also applying for grants and group shows. Donating to charity auctions. Working on my writing, website, network, and database. I’ve been landscaping and sculpting in my back yard. Always working toward more painting and drawing.

q) Do you listen to music while you’re painting and what do you listen and what do you like to listen?

a)I always listen to something while working. Rock, punk, hippie, experimental music, news, talk, and comedy. I have a small TV on also with local and national broadcasts and DVD’s.

q) Do you draw influences from a wide range of artists, musicians, books...?

a)Yes, I use the library every week. I like history, self help and nature books and CDs and DVDs. I regularly attend many art shows in galleries, museums, and lobbies to gain perspective.

q) Name 3 things you couldn’t create without?

a)My nearsightedness, calm regular breathing, and correct posture.

q) Where have you shown your art...?

a)Through zine and magazine publications in North America, South America and Europe. With my gallery shows, Seattle, Tacoma, Vancouver Canada, New York City, and Pendleton Oregon.

q) What haven't you done yet that you definitely want to try someday?

a)Space Travel, and a show in the White House.

q) How important is self-promotion for an artist nowadays?

a)Representing yourself cannot be underestimated. To learn, you need to put yourself out in the world and accept criticism and rejection as a means to acceptance and praise.

q) Would you say that your work consciously reflects characters and situations found within your daily life?

a)Currently, I'm using the emblems of the state to reflect on centers of power. I've united with state seals, flags, birds, flowers, trees, monuments, documents, and statues that fill my consciousness and pass through my situations.

q) Favorite book?

a)World Book Encyclopedia. Recently, I acquired an incomplete 1974 set that has proved to be a valuable reference and catalyst for my creative process.


q) Designers / Artists you admire?

a)Helen Frankenthaler, Jacob Lawerence, Julie Doucet, Jack Kirby , Laurie Anderson, and James Lavadour.

q) Your contacts...e-mail...links...

a) PO BOX 12368Seattle,
Wa 98111

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Psychedelic, dude!

19 March 2007 at 13:06:00 GMT-7  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Psychedelic, dude!

19 March 2007 at 13:09:00 GMT-7  
Blogger Pat said...

Speaking as one of the zine editors fortunate enough to have Blair Wilson in the pages, I'm glad to see him still doing it.
Pat Hartman
Salon: A Journal of Aesthetics

13 April 2007 at 22:57:00 GMT-7  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home