Google

Saturday 24 February 2007

Interview with Magalie Guerin

q) Introduce yourself first please?

a)Magalie Guerin

q) Where do you live and work?

a)Brooklyn, NY. I'm originally from Montreal, Quebec.

q) How did you started? How have you realized you wanted to become an artist?

a)It took me quite a while because I was not surrounded by creative people growing up. But when I left home and traveled, I met artists and things started to boil in my head. I started to believe that it could be my life too. And that was that, I begin to make art on my own (as opposed to enrolled in art school).

q) What materials do you use and why?

a)These days I've been exclusively and obsessively working with ballpoint pen. I like not being able to erase. I like that after layers and layers of it, it looks more like a print. It is so obsessive, the million little lines it takes, that it fits my theme– the complexity of the human psyche.

q) Who is your biggest influence, both art and non-art related

a)Right now, today, I wanna say Leonard Cohen. I feel very close to the emotional content of his work/words. But tomorrow I'd come up with a different answer– like Patti Smith or Henry Miller– writers seem to bring me more inspiration than any other type of artists.

q) How do you dream up with your wacky ideas? What is your creation process?

a)The work is quite time consuming and there are areas in the drawings that are so tedious to do that I find myself wandering off in my head as I'm ballpointing away. That's when the ideas for the next drawing come. It's sort of like daydreaming.

q) What haven’t you done yet that you definitely want to try someday?

a)Painting!

q) Are there any contemporary artists that you love?

a)Tons.
q) How long does it take for you to finish a piece?
a)Depends on too many factors
q) What music, if any, do you like to have on while you're working?
a)Ipod shuffle with 3437 songs. Anything from Iggy Pop to Edith Piaf.
q) Do you do many art shows?
a)Huh?

q) Tell us about a recent dream you had.
a)No.
q) What are you doing when you are not creating?
a)Biting my nails.
q) Do you get emotionally attached to your work and do you miss your work when it is sold?
a)Yes. I'll probably end up like Tracy Emin: trying to buy back my own work years down the road.
q) What new projects or exhibits are in your future?
a)Unconfirmed
q) What is your favourite art related web site?
a)Artists' blogs.
q) What is the strangest thing you have ever seen?
a)A dog eat a deer.
q) What is the strangest thing you have ever done?
a)Speak a foreign language.

q) any advice you can pass onto aspiring artists/designers?
a)Make art. Period.
q)your contacts….e-mail…links

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home