Google

Monday 22 January 2007

Interview with Mariano Chavez

Q)Something about you…what you want…

A) Before moving to Chicago I grew up in south west Texas in a town called BigWells which is pretty much in the middle of nowhere.At the moment what I would like is to devote full time to my work.

Q) What are your main goals when you create?

A)My goals are to make an image that I have never seen before. I want to keep new ideas flowing and try to make it well.

Q) Do you rule by any tendency in your creative work, or you only follow what comes in your mind?

A)I get my ideas from many different sources. I usually have an idea and I look around me for something that can help me evolve the image such as music, books,or the internet. The way I make things has a certain look to it that keeps a relationship with all of my work.

Q)How has the internet and your website helped you spread your artwork to a wider audience?

A)Well, sometimes I get to work with people that I would not get to meet day today. For instance when I got a message from you in Italy is a good example of how the internet can work on a wide scale. I have also gotten people from different parts of the U.S inviting me to be in projects which is always nice.

Q)How do you define your style and how would you describe your art to someone who could not see it?

A)I guess that my work can make you laugh and also scare you. My work works within comedy and disaster. My style seems to change from subject to subject but it has a certain unified look to it.

Q)What materials do you use to realize your creations?

A) I am pretty open to all forms of materials. I like to use the computer and photoshop. I also like to draw and paint. I like mixing old and new technologies to make work.

Q) What is your favorite a) taste b) sound c) sight d) scent e) tactile sensation?

A) Would I seem strange if I said women for all four?

Q) What are you doing now...your current projects.

A)I have been finishing up the final stages of this multi-media book Troll/DirtyFlowers. I have collaborated with several artist and am waiting on the animation to be finished. The books are made and the sound piece for the book as well. The animation is what is taking so long at this point.

Q) Do you listen to music while you're painting and what do you listen and what do you like to listen?

A)I like to listen to all kinds of music (top 40, indie, rock, Electronic). I listen to what is going on with the music scene good or bad. Sometimes I shut it all off and prefer silence.

Q) Do you draw influences from a wide range of artists, musicians, books.?

A)The influence I draw from various artist is inspiration. When you seen something amazing it gets me really exited about making my work. I really don't try and belike another artist.

Q)Name 3 things you couldn't create without?

A) Time, materials and an audience.

Q) Where have you show your art.?

A) I have shown my work mostly in Chicago galleries and museums. I have shown around the U.S and the most distant place being Sofia,Bulgaria.

Q) What haven't you done yet that you definitely want to try someday?

A)I would like to go to Europe. I really don't like to travel that much, but I would like to see the amazing art, museums, architecture and food there. I would also really like to go to Egypt.

Q) How important is self-promotion for an artist nowadays?

A)Well I guess it depends on your personal goals. Technology these days certainly makes it possible to do that with ease. I think that it is part of art making to get an audience to see your work. Self promotion is very important--unless you just want to make work for yourself, which, some people do.

Q) Would you say that your work consciously reflects characters and situations found within your daily life?

A) I think that it does in a general sense, but it mostly deals with me and my view of the world.

Q) Favourite book?

A)I collect many artist monographs and this is what I seem to read the most.
Q) Designers/Artists you admire?
A)I like Caspar David Friedrich, Salvador Dali, Munch, Redon to name a few.

Q) Your contacts..e-mail.links...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe in my heart that Mariano Chavez may be the greatest living artist.

16 December 2008 at 07:33:00 GMT-8  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home